I remember when I first started running in to online Goreans from a little online group called Silk and Steel. It was over 20+ years ago.
This was a small group of individuals who believed and thought they were self entitled, priviledged and tried to tell others that they represented the Gorean Philosophy, the Gorean Ethos and virtues. Sometimes, they even proclaim to gullible people they founded Gor, and the Gorean Philosophy and Ethos originated from them! No integrity.
In reality, they were none of these, and after a few short years Silk and Steel self destructed due to overinflated egos, deceit and infighting. After the spectacular implosion, many went underground, (for good reasons noted below); or gradually found their way to a new online social media website known as Fetlife.
I have disagreed and clashed with the remaining stragglers from this group over many, many years. I recently wrote an amusing post in My Blog called Amusing Things About Online Goreans.
Over many years, I have been called
- a roleplayer – (while most of them roleplayed in various capacities)
- an online Gorean, (though many of them have logged hundreds, if not thousands of hours online)
- a BDSM’er – (not relevant to the conversation), but yup – a proud kinkster I am
- a rainbow Gorean – (I am a straight heterosexual, but am an ally to LGBQT causes)
- a sexist – ABSOLUTELY
- head of a sex cult – Nope, just open minded, have a very high and prolonged sex drive and am sex positive
- etc. etc
There have been many, many odd things about people from Silk and Steel that I found amusing and I decided to keep them all at arms length. Some of the more interesting ones are as follows –
- Almost all of them started off online roleplaying, yet are quick to knock down anyone else who admits they started off online as well, but are now asking questions about Gor sincerely
- Most are very homophobic, and get really pissed when you show them their own hypocrisy of having slaves that are bisexual, heteroflexible, etc.. I made up a list once, exposing the number of online Goreans from this group who had; or presently have, slaves who are LGBQT friendly, and you should have seen the shit hit the fan!
- Many were very vocal and against BDSM, but secretly practiced and enjoyed it. Over the years, many have been found out and exposed for their hypocrisy. Nowadays, it is not as big an issue (wonder why not)
- There have been several from this group who have been abusers, committed sexual assaults, cheated in their marriages, etc..
- There was one Gorean who has committed numerous sexual assaults, is a sexual predator, and remains active in this circle. It was even more shocking, when this past March another person, a friend from his Home Stone in Chicago defended him, stating “vague and unsubstantiated attacks on someone else” in a post in the Gorean Gathering Place. This was in March, two months AFTER another sexual assault by the same person in a Chicago Home Stone meeting in January of the same year!
- There have been self proclaimed announcements that one or more people from this group founded Gor. Untrue and very odd. An accurate timeline of the Gorean community history can be found on the Ontario Gorean Assembly website.
- There has been self proclaimed announcements that a Free woman is the last remaining one. Apparently she also calls herself a leader on numerous occasions. Odd.
- There is one Gorean, who claims to have a FC and a slave for numerous years. No evidence of photos, interaction or anyone talking, meeting or knowing these two women after more than 20 years. I found this odd, and questioned him on it. He got quite pissy, and told me to prove it. (A very odd reaction and statement). I suspect he lives alone. No one has met either of them since last century, (the slave was met supposedly by one person in 1998). No one has talked online or met either since. Very, very odd.
- This same Gorean talks about community, yet has never met any Goreans living in his own city of Chicago! The three most vocal and visible Goreans from online are all from this group and all live in the same city! Very odd indeed.
- Monies were stolen from a collection to help pay for one of the members divorces.
- At two or their Gatherings, several girls were sexually assaulted by several men. Apparently that is okay.
- The whole mentality of ‘WE Goreans….”. They use “we” as it speaks to a false sense of ownership and elitism. They have tried for many years to use “we” to lord over any online forums. If you ask them, they will tell you that “we” have decided everything for everyone else to follow and obey. “We” figured it all out. Utter nonsense.
- There was a heated argument this past year, when one Gorean from this group said that John Norman wrote about pedophilia in his Books, and that “…NO homosexual was ever portrayed in a good way in the books…”
- There is another Free woman who continues to lie and make up things on a regular basis. I wrote about this person last year. She has even created and falsified court documents of Dragon, and passed them around to numerous people, attacking Dragon, claiming that they were real. A sad thing and very odd.
- Another Gorean from this group who admits he had no problem regularly using falsehoods against those he perceived as enemies, in order to win an argument.
- Several from Silk and Steel have been banned from most Gorean Gatherings, or have been booted out of their own Home Stone. A total disgrace!
These are just a few glaring examples. They will try and claim the moral high ground. The simple practice of teaching and practising the Modern Day Gorean Ethos is one that they do not follow, but expect and demand from others.
Gorean ethics focuses on an individual striving to live a rich and full Life by practicing doing right by his own standards, convictions and direction.
Goreans stress the importance on truth. Seeking the truth is important, maintaining honesty in all actions concerning any matter or subject, or generally on all subjects.
Goreans stress the importance on integrity. Being true to yourself, keeping your word, adherence to moral and ethical principles; act upon the soundness of moral character.
Goreans stress the importance on honour. That which attracts self respect, dignity and courage; especially excellence of character, high moral worth, virtue, and nobleness.
Goreans stress the importance on freedom. The state of being free or at liberty. To establish personal sovereignty over oneself, and those under our responsibilities. By our action, word and choice.
Goreans stress the importance on strength. Accepting accountability for your choices, and standing against adversity and opposition. Acting with boldness, perseverance and self reliance.
Goreans stress the importance on duty. The binding force of something that is morally or legally right, A call to respect or obedience to country, family or position.
They talk and argue about the Gorean Philosophy. They talk and argue about the Gorean Ethos. They do not practice or follow their own advice. They have no integrity, do not speak the truth, and show no honour. They have failed miserably on numerous occasions. Their words, actions and deeds show otherwise.
The official motto of Silk and Steel – “We are not the same, therefore we are not equal.” Absolutely true and thank God they, and I, are different. I have, and will continue to keep anyone from Silk and Steel at arms length for many, many good reasons.
Yes, there have been many, many odd things about people from Silk and Steel indeed.